Comfort Food and Easy Entertaining

As a private chef, caterer and cooking instructor I am often asked "What do you enjoy cooking when you're at home on a weeknight or entertaining guests at your table?" I started this blog to answer that question. Here I will share with all of you the recipes that I find delicious and comforting. Many of the recipes are my own versions of classic dishes, some are contemporary twists on old ideas, and some are discoveries I made while perusing my grandmother’s vast collection of cookbooks dating back to the early 1900’s. Please enjoy these videos. I have also included links to some of the published articles I have written recently. Please feel free to comment here or email me directly with any questions, comments or general thoughts. My email address and information on my catering, private chef and private cooking classes can be found on my website: www.portlandcomfortfood.com

Southern Fried Chicken



Southern Fried Chicken

2 chickens, cut up (16 pieces of chicken)
salt
pepper
cayenne
flour

Wash and dry chicken.  Lay chicken in an even layer onto a sheet pan.  Sprinkle 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper over chicken.  Turn chicken over.  Sprinkle other side with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper.  Turn chicken around in seasoning to coat well.  Spread about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of flour over chicken and turn chicken over.  Sprinkle with another cup of flour.using hands coat chicken well with flour.  Place pan in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, uncovered.

Fill heavy-bottomed pot to 1/ capacity with oil (vegetable, canola or peanut) and heat to 350 degrees.  Remove chicken from refrigerator and sprinkle with another cup of flour.  Coat chicken with flour and shake off excess.  Fry a few pieces of chicken at a time, do not overcrowd pot.  Fry dark meat (thighs, legs, and wings) for 14 minutes and white meat (breasts) for 12 minutes.  Maintain oil temperature between 325 - 350 degrees.  Turn chicken over half way through cooking time to cook both sides evenly.

When chicken is done verify correct internal temperature of 165 degrees.  Remove from oil and place on a wire rack until all chicken is fried.  Chicken may be kept warm in a 200 degree oven.

No comments: