Comfort Food and Easy Entertaining

As a private chef, caterer and cooking instructor I am often asked "What do you enjoy cooking when you're at home on a weeknight or entertaining guests at your table?" I started this blog to answer that question. Here I will share with all of you the recipes that I find delicious and comforting. Many of the recipes are my own versions of classic dishes, some are contemporary twists on old ideas, and some are discoveries I made while perusing my grandmother’s vast collection of cookbooks dating back to the early 1900’s. Please enjoy these videos. I have also included links to some of the published articles I have written recently. Please feel free to comment here or email me directly with any questions, comments or general thoughts. My email address and information on my catering, private chef and private cooking classes can be found on my website: www.portlandcomfortfood.com

Spicy Italian Sausage Red Sauce



Spicy Italian Sausage Red Sauce

Serves 8

3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 lbs Hot Italian Sausage
2 (28 oz) cans Whole peeled tomatoes, or 28 oz fresh peeled tomatoes
2 large onions, diced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp dried Basil
1 1/2 tsp dried Oregano
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups stock (chicken, vegetable or beef)

Heat a large sauce pan over medium high heat.  Add 3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil and heat for approximately 45 seconds (or until you see it begin to shimmer).  Add sausage and let sit for about 3 minutes, do not stir.  Once the sausage begins to brown slightly, stir.  Allow to caramelize on all sides, then add garlic and onions.  Sauté mixture until onions begin to soften and brown slightly.  Add dried spices and salt and pepper.  Stir mixture together then add tomatoes and stock.

Allow sauce to simmer on medium/low for approximately 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15-20 minutes.  If mixture becomes too dry add 1/2 cup water at a time until it loosens to your desired consistency.

Serve sauce with your favorite pasta and enjoy!!


No comments: