Comfort Food and Easy Entertaining

As a private chef, caterer and cooking instructor I am often asked "What do you enjoy cooking when you're at home on a weeknight or entertaining guests at your table?" I started this blog to answer that question. Here I will share with all of you the recipes that I find delicious and comforting. Many of the recipes are my own versions of classic dishes, some are contemporary twists on old ideas, and some are discoveries I made while perusing my grandmother’s vast collection of cookbooks dating back to the early 1900’s. Please enjoy these videos. I have also included links to some of the published articles I have written recently. Please feel free to comment here or email me directly with any questions, comments or general thoughts. My email address and information on my catering, private chef and private cooking classes can be found on my website: www.portlandcomfortfood.com

Severed Finger Cookies




Severed Finger Cookies

Makes 24 large finger cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup raspberry jam

In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy.   Mix in the sugar egg and vanilla, then mix in the flour baking powder and salt.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Using your hands and working quickly, roll a small handful of dough and roll into a finger shape.  Place the fingers about 3 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Stick a sliced almond on one end for the fingernails.  Using a butter knife make 3 crosswise knuckle marks in the middle of each cookie.

Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.

Transfer to rack to cool.  Meanwhile, in microwave, heat raspberry jam for 45 seconds.  Once liquified dip the severed end of each cookie into the sauce.

Place on cookie sheet and allow jam to set.


No comments: