Comfort Food and Easy Entertaining

As a private chef, caterer and cooking instructor I am often asked "What do you enjoy cooking when you're at home on a weeknight or entertaining guests at your table?" I started this blog to answer that question. Here I will share with all of you the recipes that I find delicious and comforting. Many of the recipes are my own versions of classic dishes, some are contemporary twists on old ideas, and some are discoveries I made while perusing my grandmother’s vast collection of cookbooks dating back to the early 1900’s. Please enjoy these videos. I have also included links to some of the published articles I have written recently. Please feel free to comment here or email me directly with any questions, comments or general thoughts. My email address and information on my catering, private chef and private cooking classes can be found on my website: www.portlandcomfortfood.com

Crab and Artichoke Dip




Crab and Artichoke Dip Recipe:

1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup finely minced onion
2 8.0 oz packages cream cheese
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Horseradish (or Horseradish sauce)
1 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
5 dashes Tobasco sauce
2 14 oz. can artichoke hearts (quartered in water, not packed in oil)
1/2 lb crab meat, cartilate removed (add more if you've got it)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese


1. In a sauce pot saute the onions in the butter until they are soft but not brown.
2. Add the cream cheese and stir it over low heat until it is soft. Add the Worcestershire, horseradish, Old Bay, and Tabasco. Stir until well blended.
3. Fold in the artichokes and crab meat.
4. Put the mixture in a shallow baking dish, one that is only about 1-1/2 inches deep. This is similar to the size of a 10-inch pie plate.
5. Sprinkle the Parmesan evenly over the top.
6. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. This cheese should be brown on top and the sides should be bubbling.


Serve warm with toasted baguette or toast points

No comments: