Comfort Food and Easy Entertaining

As a private chef, caterer and cooking instructor I am often asked "What do you enjoy cooking when you're at home on a weeknight or entertaining guests at your table?" I started this blog to answer that question. Here I will share with all of you the recipes that I find delicious and comforting. Many of the recipes are my own versions of classic dishes, some are contemporary twists on old ideas, and some are discoveries I made while perusing my grandmother’s vast collection of cookbooks dating back to the early 1900’s. Please enjoy these videos. I have also included links to some of the published articles I have written recently. Please feel free to comment here or email me directly with any questions, comments or general thoughts. My email address and information on my catering, private chef and private cooking classes can be found on my website: www.portlandcomfortfood.com

Potato Salad with Homemade Mayo




Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe

Ingredients:
• 2 egg yolks
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
• 1/8 teaspoon sugar
• Pinch cayenne pepper
• 4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
• 1-1/2 cups olive or other salad oil
• 4 teaspoons hot water
Blender or Processor Mayonnaise Place yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 3 teaspoons lemon juice in blender cup or work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade, and buzz 15 seconds (use low blender speed). Now, with motor running, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup oil (use moderately high blender speed). As mixture begins to thicken, continue adding oil in a fine steady stream, alternating with hot water and remaining lemon juice. Stop motor and scrape mixture down from sides of blender cup or work bowl as needed.

Makes 1 ½ cups

The BEST Potato Salad

2 lb potatoes, quartered - boiled until "fork-tender"
1 large can artichoke hearts, quartered
1/2 large red onion, finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together with warm potatoes and cover and place in refrigerator. It is ready to serve the next day... or when cooled.

Enjoy!!

No comments: